A 30-year-old man became the 200th apprehension by ACT Policing’s Operation TORIC yesterday (Tuesday, 7 February 2023) when he was arrested for driving while disqualified.
In November 2022, the man appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court in relation to a separate charge of driving whilst disqualified, as well as a number of other charges. He was subsequently disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver’s licence for a period of 12 months.
On Tuesday, 7 February 2023, the defendant attended the ACT Magistrates Court where he entered into a continuation of bail conditions which included not use illegal drugs, including cannabis.
About 12.05pm on Tuesday 7 February, police observed the man driving a silver Mercedes CLA200 on Petrie Street in the City.
The man was located and arrested inside the Canberra Centre a short time later. He was required to undergo a drug screening test, which subsequently returned a positive result, placing him in breach of his bail conditions that had been continued earlier that day.
The man faced the ACT Magistrates Court for a second time yesterday afternoon on charges of driving while disqualified and breach of bail.
He had also previously been arrested on Monday, 23 January 2023, for driving whilst disqualified and drug driving.
Detective Inspector Shane Scott, said that officers will continue to target people who disregard conditions imposed upon them.
“Yet again we have seen a previously apprehended person ignore court imposed disqualification and bail conditions. To do so puts themselves and other roads users at risk,” said Detective inspector Scott.
“Offenders continue to play Russian roulette with the ACT public by putting themselves above all other road users when driving while not permitted by the court.
“The goal of Operation TORIC is to curb recidivist behaviours of those illegally using vehicles – and we will be relentless in our efforts to do so.”